Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spinach Basil Pesto

As much as I love to experiment with flavours and recipes, I usually shy away from trying out anything that could be categorized in either the "condiment" or "sauce" category. After browsing through a few of my favourite blogs I found quite a few recipes that included pesto. Now, pesto isn't usually my flavour of choice when it comes to pasta or various other italian dishes, but it seemed simple enough to make that I thought I would give it a go. I glanced at a few different recipes and came up with my own concoction for a spinach basil pesto that is so delicious I've been searching high and low for new ways to incorporate it into my every day meals.

Ingredients
1.5 - 2.0 oz fresh basil
1.5 oz baby spinach
1/4 cup pine nuts
1-2 cloves garlic (depending on your tastes)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
dash of salt

Take your food processor of choice (I prefer the Magic Bullet) and blend all the ingredients until desired consistency. I prefer mine to be a little on the grainy side for some added texture. Store it in an airtight container and it should last for about a week. I first used this pesto on some linguine with chicken and roasted red peppers, but it would also make a great pizza sauce replacement or spread a little on your sandwich! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment