Thursday, February 7, 2013

Because People Like to Say Salsa

Two well-known facts about me:  I love Seinfeld (hence the title taken from this episode) and I love fajitas. Craving mexican (and fajitas specifically), and having lots of cilantro in the fridge from a previous dinner, gave me the idea to try my hand at making fresh salsa. It seemed like a simple endeavour and fresh salsas always taste so much better than the jarred-last-forever-on-the-shelf varieties. The recipe I followed resulted in a delicious salsa that's left me trying to incorporate it in every meal.

Ingredients:

2 large tomatoes
1/3 spanish onion
1 jalapeno
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp chili powder
juice of half a lime

Dice the tomatoes and the onion into small chunks. Remove the jalapeno seeds (I left some in for extra heat) and mince. On a large cutting board with a sharp knife, combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic, chopping it together until the pieces are as small as you like. Mix in a bowl with the sugar, salt, cumin, chili powder and lime juice. Store in an airtight container for one week. 

Perfect with chips, fajitas, black bean burgers or even scrambled eggs - salsa goes with everything. What makes it even better is being able to say "salsa" over and over again while you're making it...I can testify that I do indeed like to say salsa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment