Monday, June 10, 2013

Turnovers, Ice Cream and Compote Oh My!

 Last week, after a long two days, I came home and focused all my energy into making dessert - my own 'anxiety-relieving exercise'. I've had my share of failed ice cream attempts, but not enough to keep me from trying once more. When day one was near its end, I decided that I would conquer ice cream once and for all. All seemed to go well with the custard stirring, cooling and churning but I would have to wait overnight until it could be deemed successful. After having a taste of my ice cream on day two, I knew it needed a pair. A quick look in my fridge, freezer and Pinterest boards and I realized the perfect partner - strawberry rhubarb turnovers (the compote came later).

Vanilla Ice Cream
8 egg yolks
2 cups 2% milk
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream

Follow these instructions for making the custard (mine took about 20 minutes until it was thick) and let it stand for a couple minutes to cool. Stir the heavy cream into the custard and chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Pour the churned ice cream into a metal loaf pan, seal with plastic wrap (pressing it onto the ice cream) and chill overnight.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Turnovers

1 sheet phyllo pastry 
(I used a square of Tenderflake, rolled out into a large rectangle)
1 cup diced strawberries
1 cup diced rhubarb
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp powdered sugar

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon and ginger until the fruit is well coated. Cut the rolled out phyllo dough into 8 squares and place on the baking sheet. Leaving room around the edges, spoon the fruit filling onto the corner of each square, and fold over the empty corner. Seal the edges by pressing down with a fork. Brush the egg wash overtop each pastry and bake for 18-22 minutes, until they are golden brown. Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar

I had some fruit filling left that I didn't want to waste, so I decided to make a compote. Simply put your leftover fruit mixture in a saucepan on medium heat and let it reduce until it is a thinner, jam like consistency. I also added a tablespoon more of sugar, and cut up a few more strawberries.

We had our turnovers topped with the vanilla ice cream and a spoonful of compote and oh-my-heavens, delish! The classic taste of the tart rhubarb with the sweet strawberries is not one to disappoint, and the smooth, creamy ice cream on top was the perfect addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment