Thursday, June 27, 2013

Week 3: What's in our Basket?

If you don't know what's going on with this basket stuff catch up here: Week 1 / Week 2

These past two weeks have flown by and before we knew it, it was time to pick up our third basket from Plan B Organic farms. With the weather getting warmer we are getting more excited and curious about the possibile produce that we'll receive. Last week had a few surprises - some hits, some misses. I pickled the radishes (re: this post), discovered my love for green smoothies (coconut water + mango + pineapple + kale = heaven), however we are not (yet) fans of swiss chard. We tried it both raw and sauteed with garlic and the taste was just a bit too 'earthy', but maybe we'll find a future with it at another time (any suggestions?)! My mom picked up our basket this week while I was at work so I had to contain my curiosity until I got home, but there were definitely some exciting finds! Here is what's in our basket:



Vegetable Half Share

1 small bunch of romaine lettuce
1 bunch of fresh mint
1 large bunch of kale
1 English cucumber
1 small bag of shitake mushrooms
3 tomatoes (I forgot to photograph!)
1 punnet of strawberries
1 bunch of garlic scape






Fruit Share

1 bunch of bananas
1 bunch of green grapes
4 oranges
1 punnet of strawberries.

That's right, we got not one but TWO containers of local organic strawberries! I am beyond excited.






Their Potential

Use the strawberries and fresh mint to whip up some of this refreshing ice cream.

Make your own chinese takeout fried rice using kale and mushrooms.

Lighten up your lunch with a salad using strawberries, romaine and a poppyseed dressing.

Change up your breakfast by making some orange marmalade

Tomato, cucumber and mint combine to create a tasty and simple side dish.

Brush the garlic scape with olive oil and throw it on the grill (re: Plan B Organics Newsletter)

Both this and that recipe will give you minty drinks that are perfect for summer.  

P.S. Is it obvious that I'm really excited about the mint?

4 comments:

  1. Joanna you should plant some mint! I have some sitting on our back doorstep and it's the easiest thing ever to grow…but now I'm looking for recipes besides our mojitos (Hint, hint;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah i would love to plant some! i'm not very good at caring for things though and i'm so nervous of killing it haha

      Delete
  2. Wow! Loving these tips! And loving your fresh selection pictured. Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They've been a great mid-week pick me up, nothing like fresh food to get me excited haha

      Delete