Thursday, February 27, 2014

Good Books: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Now I know in my last good books update I said I would be coming at you with a 2 in 1 book post for what was my second and meant to be fourth reads of the year. Well, I've had the sequel to this book out on loan for nearly a month now and I just can't seem to get into it. What happens to me is if I keep a book on my shelf too long without reading it, or read it before bed and keep falling asleep the book, starts to feel like homework. It could be the greatest book ever written and I would still struggle along with the task I've assigned to myself. Well that's what happened with this sequel. So for now I have pursued other reads and returned the sequel (Hollow City, if you're wondering), to be completed on a later date.

The second book I read for the 25-book pledge was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This book was terrifying. I should have guessed that from the cover really, but as mentioned in this post, it was the cover that drew me in! I was looking for a lighter read after finishing A House in the Sky, so I headed on over to the teen fiction section hoping for a breezy book. Like I said, this book is terrifying. It follows the story of a boy who was left with the mystery of his grandfather's past to explore. He ends up on a journey to a mysterious island full of peculiarities. One day he finds himself in an abandoned home for children and becomes intrigued with their existence - Are they dead or alive? What made them so special? Are their photographs even real? Without giving too much away, this book is a story full of excitement, mystery and adventure. One of the best (and scariest bits) is the pages of photographs. Ransom Riggs gathered a collection of mysterious vintage photographs, that help tell this story and make it perfectly haunting. Give it a read! (and if you read the sequel before I do, no spoilers please!)

No comments:

Post a Comment