Monday, February 3, 2014

Homemade Almond Joy Bars


Sunday was one of those days where I woke up and immediately felt the need to make something. I get that feeling pretty regularly, but knowing I had a few other items to check off my to do list I got right to it - didn't even eat breakfast first! I've seen on a few of my favourite food blogs the creation of homemade versions of classic candy bars, and they always look ten times better than the plastic packaged original. As you know I am passionate about everything coconut, and though the closest Canadian equivalent is a Bounty bar, I decided to recreate our beloved American friend's Almond Joy Bar. These were so simple to make - even easier than marshmallows (which I know sounds hard but really isn't). If you're having a candy craving make your own! And everything is better fun sized so what's stopping you!? Here's the recipe:


Ingredients

1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt
12 whole, roasted almonds
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a food processor, ground together the coconut, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract. It should form a thick and sticky mixture (if it holds together in a ball then you're good to go). On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, make approximately 12 rounded rectangles with the coconut mixture. Lightly press a whole almond on top and freeze for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, melt the chocolate chips (30 second increments, stirring in between). Using toothpicks, dip your solid coconut pieces in the chocolate, doing your best to cover it completely. Allow to dry on the parchment before serving

Note: I chopped up some additional almonds and sprinkled it on top of the melted chocolate to make them a little prettier.

I could eat these forever. Once you try them it'll be real hard opening up the plastic wrapper and knowing you won't be nearly as satisfied with your processed bar of gunk. Bring on the homemade-fun-sized happiness!

(Adapted from this recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment