Tuesday, October 7, 2014

What I'm Into: September 2014

Okay so I'm a bit late. Yes we're a week into October but ya know what, I run things around here and I say that's okay. September was another crazy month! I've been volunteering, jet setting to San Francisco, applying to jobs like a mad woman, and somehow I've managed to squeeze in lots of books and movies. This is what I've been up to this month:


Books I've Read:

The Enchanted by Rene Denfield - I'm not sure about this book.  It follows the life of a prisoner on death row,  and the various characters he interacts with. At the start it seemed like it could be something I would enjoy since it's all dark and twisty. But the further I read the more I couldn't wait to be done with it.

Quiet by Susan Cain - I've been reading this book off and on for awhile,  when my brain needed to work a bit harder and when I was in the mood for learning. I finished it finally a couple weekends ago and really enjoyed it. It gave me great insight not only to understanding my introverted self, but also to my relationships with others.

Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling- I'm not sure why I picked this book. I'm not really a fan of the Office, didn't like the Mindy Project, and wasn't familiar with any of Mindy Kaling's other works. That being said, it was a great weekend read. Definitely not as good as Tina's Bossypants (what could be though?) but still pretty funny none the less.

Movies I've Seen:

The Skeleton Twins - I really enjoyed this movie. It's about a pair of estranged twins who reunite after their lives don't go so great. The brother and sister work together to not only fix their lives apart, but also their relationship together. This movie is real and believable with the perfect amount of humour.

The Giver - This is a bad movie. Well, if you liked the book it's a bad movie. The Giver was given the Hollywood treatment and about a third into the movie it went on it's own path, separate from the story told in the novel. The acting wasn't very good, the romance (wait what? yes, I know) was weird, and Taylor Swift was unnecessary.

The Trip - This was my boyfriend's choice one night on Netflix. I hadn't heard of it but wasn't in the mood to make decisions so I agreed. It is the most ridiculous movie. It follows two British comedians on a foodie trip throughout the U.K., and it was actually pretty great. Thankfully, there is a sequel recently out in theatres, set in Italy.

Fun Stuff I Did:

TIFF - I've been attending the Toronto International Film Festival for nearly ten years! It's one of my favourite times of year. There is so much energy in the city, and so many movies to be seen, most that you wouldn't have the chance to watch otherwise. This year I decided to switch things up and volunteer. It was a great chance to meet people just as excited about the festival, learn about what goes on behind the scenes, and sneak in the odd film. Highlights of the festival this year include shaking Bill Murray's hand in the pouring rain, rushing my first movie, and sitting in on a screening of the Belgian movie Cub (so good!). Of course, it wouldn't be TIFF if I didn't go to my favourite program, Short Cuts Canada - so many good films from some pretty awesome filmmakers.

The Library - Ohhh I bet you thought this was some cool, hip bar or restaurant that I was going to rave about. HA! Joke's on you. It's the actual library. I don't know why I haven't been making use of the library all these years (actually that's a lie, I do, I was living in fear of my high school overdue fines). The library is just the best - you can borrow books, like ten books, for FREE. Loving the library.

LiNK - The organization I worked with this summer has started a new campaign and fundraising goal.  I'm aiming to raise enough funds to help at least one North Korean refugee reach freedom and gain the resettlement support they need - learn more by clicking right HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment